link to Home Page

Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti

Article: <6i4gva$5m@dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Challenge to Jim Scotti
Date: 28 Apr 1998 12:10:18 GMT

In article <35450D2D.E5D@spammers.of.the.world.unite.etc> M.C. Harrison
writes:
>> Our point was that if you apply your orbital mechanics, your
>> Newton math formulas, to light particles, they don't work!
>> Thus, you don't apply them!  Look the other way!  Avoid the
>> contradictions!
>
> The photons, using Newtonian math, do not follow orbits and
> stuff because  they are too fast. This is stretching Newton a bit
> too far

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
In other words, NEWTON'S FORMULAS ARE WRONG!  They can't be applied
universally, yet they are called Laws by the reverent who can't stand
the unease of uncertainly.  Newton is a religion!  Balming the faithful
with a promise of constancy!  And the rigid and neurotic buy into this,
hook line and sinker.
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

writes:
>> whether the light particle has mass or no, Newton's formulas
>> should work.  Can't have it both ways!
>
> F=M*A works just fine for photons. M is zero so acceleration
> to infinite speed requires no force. It's wrong, because
> relativity is more useful when dealing with stuff on that scale.

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
In other words, NEWTON'S FORMULAS ARE WRONG!  They don't work with
light rays, so are DISCARDED in favor of a more modern thinker.  Can't
put Einstein and Newton together in one room, it appears, as Newton
gets all discombobulated!  Still, the young are taught his precepts,
and given bad grades if they dare to question.  This is so their
professors can continue to feel smug, and take home big salaries for
refusing to reconcile contraditions.  Just pay your tuition and shut
up!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

writes:
>Thing is, if light had mass it could follow an orbit, but it would
also
> travel at various speeds, rather than always at C. The latter is
> pretty well proven by various people. Nothing orbits when it is
> so fast, because of the enormous forces that would be needed.
> And anyway, Newton isn't appropriate when talking about
> relativistic speeds, you need to do different maths which is
> acccurate in those circumstances.

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
In other words, NEWTON'S FORMULAS DON'T WORK!  They're "not
appropriate" when talking of relativistic speeds!  They're not
universal at all!  They are laws only for the weak minded who must
cling, and slam doors and walk away when the conversation moves into
new realms. Tisk, and this poor honest soul, stating what most know but
dare not utter, will get all manner of e-mail attempting to shout him
down, FIRE him from his position if this is possible, humiliate him,
bombard him with e-mail, as he is uttering blasphemy!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

writes:
> Well actually, Newton isn't our science. He worked out his maths
> hundreds of years ago, and science has got more advanced.

Well there you went and said it!  You're a brave man, M.C. Harrison!