Internet/Packet Radio BBS Gateway
from the Ham Radio Club under Lifestyles on America Online
Q: Are there any gateways for mail or news between Internet and Amateur Packet radio?
A: Jim Durham, W2XO, maintains a gateway between Internet and the Packet radio BBS system.
TO MAIL FROM INTERNET TO A PACKET STATION:
- Packet address to be mailed to:
- Mail to:
TO MAIL FROM PACKET TO INTERNET
- If W3AAA is in my database as "firstname.lastname@example.org".
- Mail to: W3AAA@W2XO.#SWPA.PA.USA.NOAM
- (The mail will be forwarded to "email@example.com".)
- (NON-HAMS get "3rd Party Aliases" like "3PTY01", which will fit in the 6 character space of a ham packet header. These are used just like calls. If you are a non-ham, please ask for a 3rd party alias and I'll give you one.)
NOTE: *****VERY IMPORTANT******!
E-mail from non-hams to hams, or E-mail from ham to ham through the gateway , where the message enters the packet radio network at W2XO, from a country that does not have a 3RD PARTY TRAFFIC AGREEMENT with the US is illegal and could put my amateur radio license in jeopardy. A list of countries with 3rd party agreements with the US follows. Please don't ask to use the gateway if you are not either in the US or on this list. I regret this policy, but it is US Radio law.
Countries that share third-party traffic agreements:
V2 Antigu/Barbuda V6 Federated States HP Panama LU Argentina of Micronesia ZP Paraguay VK Australia C5 Gambia OA Peru V3 Belize 9G Ghana DU Philippines CP Bolivia J3 Grenada V4 St. Christopher/Nevis PY Brazil TG Guatemala J6 St. Lucia VE Canada 8R Guyana J8 St. Vincent CE Chile HH Haiti 9L Sierra Leone HK Colombia HR Honduras 3DA Swaziland D6 Comoros 4X Israel 9Y Trinidad/Tobago TI Costa Rica 6Y Jamaica GB United Kingdom * CO Cuba JY Jordan CX Uruguay HI Dominican Republic EL Liberia YV Venezuela J7 Dominica V7 Marshall Islands** 4U1ITU - ITU Geneva HC Ecuador XE Mexico 4U1VIC - VIC Vienna YS El Salvador YN Nicaragua
- Limited to special-event stations with callsign prefix GB (GB3 excluded) and informally to stations number on Pitcairn Island (VR6).
- The Marshall Islands are independent, but the FCC currently honors the previous agreement until a formal agreement can be made.
The gateway can't be used to or from a country not on the above list.
Transmitted: 5/1/96 3:15 PM (HRC0066)